On May 13, 1930, Karlag was established by a decree of the USSR Council of People’s Commissars.
It was given 110 thousand hectares of land, the administration of the Karaganda camp was located in the village of Dolinka, 45 km from Karaganda.
At the time of the opening of the Karaganda Camp it housed 2,567 prisoners of 47 nationalities.
In 1933 there were 20,262 people in the camp.
During the existence of Karlag there were about 1 million people in it.
In addition to Karlag, there were camps in Kazakhstan: Stepnoy, Sandy, Lugovoy, Dalny and others.